terça-feira, 2 de março de 2010

Letters that should be written II - Cartas que deveriam ser escritas II

(to the president of a soccer team)

Dear President of Atlético,

I've been Atlético's supporter for my entire life and I consider soccer the second best thing in the world. The first one is my family.

I'm writing to you to tell you about a conversation I had with my son the other day, which is reproduced bellow.

We had just watched Atlético 1 x 3 Cruzeiro. We were on the couch, in silence, still absorbing the loss, when he asked:

- Dad, don't you always tell me that I'm not supposed to make fun of the others?

- Yes, I do.

- What about that coach? He has just done the same, with the supporters.

- That's because the supporters were making fun of him before.

- So, whenever someone makes fun of me, it's OK to do the same.

- No!.... That's not.... The thing is, son, when people make fun of you, you should tell them that that's wrong. If you do the same, you will be as wrong as they were.

- And why didn't the coach do it?

- Because his father didn't teach him that.

Mr. President, I’m just a father. There are only 2 people that consider me their leader: my son and my wife. And, to be totally honest, the second usually forgets it. On the other hand, you, the coaches and the other teams’ representatives are the leaders of many generations. Thousands of people look up to you and that’s a huge responsibility.

Whenever a coach or a president of a team makes negative comments about the others and uses sarcasm or irony to express their anger, the rest of the world will be entitled to do the same. But, unfortunately, people might have a different way to express their anger. They may prefer to destroy buses or, who knows, shoot people.

Instead, if you showed respect towards your opponents, they would probably do the same. I believe it’s about time we started teaching the people how to be tolerant and to accept the differences between us, don’t you think?

That's what I'm trying to teach my son. Yesterday, after the match, while we were still sad, he told me: “at least grandpa is happy.” My father is a Cruzeiro’s supporter. He has always been the first one to make jokes when Atlético loses. After he saw my son’s attitude, he changed completely.

I'm very proud of my son, and I wish I could say the same about our sport leaders.

With all respect,

Andrew Harmon


(Ao president de um time de futebol)

Excelentíssimo Senhor Presidente do Atlético,

Tenho sido torcedor do Atlético a vida inteira e considero o futebol a segunda melhor coisa do mundo. A primeira é a minha família.

Estou lhe escrevendo para relatar uma conversa que tive com o meu filho outro dia, a qual reproduzo abaixo.

Havíamos acabado de assistir o jogo Atlético 1 x 3 Cruzeiro. Estávamos no sofá, em silêncio, ainda absorvendo a derrota, quando ele perguntou:

- Pai, você não me diz sempre que não se deve provocar os outros?

- Sim.

- E quanto àquele treinador? Ele não acaba de fazer o mesmo com a torcida?

- Isso é porque a torcida estava provocando ele antes.

- Então, quando alguém me provocar primeiro, eu posso fazer o mesmo.

- Não!....Não é isso.... O negócio é o seguinte, filho, quando as pessoas fizerem isso com você, você deve dizer a elas que isso é errado. Se você fizer o mesmo, vai estar tão errado quanto elas.

- E por que o treinador não fez isso?

- Porque o pai dele não ensinou isso a ele.

Senhor Presidente, eu sou só um pai. Há somente duas pessoas que me consideram um líder: meu filho e minha mulher. E, pra dizer a verdade, a segunda esquece isso com freqüência. Por outro lado, V.Sra. os treinadores e os outros representantes dos times de futebol são líderes de várias gerações. Milhares de pessoas lhes seguem e isso é uma enorme responsabilidade.

Sempre que um treinador ou o presidente de um time faz comentários negativos sobre os outros times e usa o sarcasmo e a ironia para expressar a sua raiva, está autorizando os outros a fazer o mesmo. Mas, infelizmente, nem todos usarão a mesma forma para expressar a sua raiva. Eles talvez prefiram destruir ônibus ou, quem sabe, atirar em outras pessoas.

Ao contrário, se V. Sra. demonstrasse respeito com relação aos adversários, eles provavelmente fariam o mesmo. Eu acredito que esteja na hora de começarmos a ensinar as pessoas a serem tolerantes e a aceitarem as diferenças entre nós, não acha?

Isso é o que eu estou tentando ensinar ao meu filho. Ontem, após o jogo, enquanto ainda estávamos tristes, ele me disse: “pelo menos o vovô está feliz.” Meu pai é torcedor do Cruzeiro. Ele sempre foi o primeiro a fazer provocações quando o Atlético perde. Após perceber a atitude do meu filho, ele mudou completamente.

Eu tenho muito orgulho do meu filho, e gostaria de poder dizer o mesmo com relação aos dirigentes esportivos.

Respeitosamente,

André Assumpção

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário